Yes, it is our 69th Anniversary!

Here we are on October 24, 1951. We had no idea what was ahead of u.

The place was the Methodist preacher's home in Cambridge, MD. My mother and I came by train all the way from Los Angeles CA for this big event. My mom and Hap's dad were our witnesses. We went back to Hap's grandmother's and aunt's home for a small reception--and I mean small. I don't think my new husband's relatives were particularly happy about the event. 

We went in three states for our one night honeymoon: Maryland, Delaware and Virginia, at the place where they all meet.

The beginnings were not easy--I won't go into it all--but we started off living in Norfolk VA in a basement apartment where we shared a bathroom with another Navy couple. After the first month I was pregnant and we barely had enough money to eat and after a struggle, I went back to Cambridge to live with the grandmother and aunts. Not easy--but the food was great.

Our first baby, a girl, was born in the Cambridge hospital while hubby was driving a bus in Virginia. He did get home the following day. We moved into a strange apartment in Cambridge but it was much better for me and the baby. When she was only 4 months old we drove back to California--a hair-raising trip.

Those first years were hard--Hap was home sometimes and sometime deployed somewhere far. We lived in half  a quonset hut on the Port Hueneme Sea Bee base, an apartment in Little Creek Virginia, a little house in Oxnard CA and then we bought our first home there. Hap was gone on many different deployments all over the world. He served in Vietnam during the war 3 different times. We had four more children. 

And the times were not easy. There was never enough money. I worked at the phone company off and on.  I PTA'd, and had a Camp Fire group for 10 years. And I was writing. Hubby dabbled in community theater off and on, and was a good actor. We also had many friends and hosted many dinners and parties.

When hubby finally retired, I worked at a child development center as a teacher, and then day cares, and went to college. We had lots of wonderful times with our kids. The kids grew up and got married. Grandkids arrived. We moved to Springville, CA and together owned and operated a residential care home for developmentally disabled women and we did a great job and both loved it. Best time of our lives. 

We've had many wonderful experiences and some hard ones, but our love for one another helped us get through everything. 

So what's my advice about to having a long marriage? You don't give up no matter how hard it is or how hard the struggles. Love grows as you take care of one another, and it definitely helped that we both love God and have worked hard to grow in our Christian life. Looking back we had some wonderful times together and many great memories.



My dress looks purple but it was actually a dark blue velvet and of course that was an orchid. None of what I know my mother would have liked for my wedding. But I was happy. The minister gave us a beautiful painting he'd done--our first wedding present. I'm not sure if there were any others.
Lorna Cillins said…
We were the same ages. I was actually 19, by one week. When you find the right one, keep him. You certainly did, and so did I. Hugs to you both. ❤
Thonie Hevron said…
You two are an inspiration. Especially during this pandemic time when we can't travel and socialize like we used to, getting along can be a challenge. But your wise words ring true--don't give up and faith in God. It's what keeps us going through the muddles.
Happy, happy anniversary Marilyn and Hap!
Unknown said…
Marilyn, 69 years...Wow! Hap really got a child bride. Congratulations to both of you. Kathy and I got married when we were 19, and I was in Army Flight School. I know, it must have been the "uniform" that caught her attention.

It's interesting that in those days, being a male I was legally too young to vote, drink, or get married without a parent's signature. Yet "Uncle Sam" said I was old enough to fly armed helicopters in combat.
Ron Corbin said…
Oops! Sorry to hit the wrong button, Marilyn. Wasn't trying to be the unk responder. See if this works better.
Radine said…
I would still recognize you from that picture. As I think you know, John and I were married 65 years when he left us. People are amazed at that and, now, at your 69 years. The long term marriage is not common today, even though people are living longer. Several have said to me something like "Today you don't work it out, you just get out." I wonder....... CONGRATULATIONS AND MORE LOVE TO YOU BOTH FROM RADINE

By the way, I do not recognize that

Popular posts from this blog

Reunions: You Can’t Go Back Again (Because ‘There’ Is Gone) You hear about people going to Reunions: high school, college, family, war vets, et cetera. Well, not me. For example, my high school, St. Augustine’s Diocesan on Sterling Place in Park Slope, Brooklyn, was already out of business when the passenger jet made an unscheduled crash landing on its doorstep in the late 1960’s, erasing all prospect of reunions. No matter, I wouldn’t have been attending anyhow. As for St. John’s University College, whose ‘campus’ was in a seven-story former bank building on Schermerhorn St. in Downtown Brooklyn---it’s condos now and even if the doorman would let me in for old times’sake, I’d pass. I spent all of 1956 and half of 1957 at St. Augustine’s as a transfer student, having come from a low-rent seminary that was supposed to prepare you to become a member of the Franciscan Order of Teaching Brothers. St. Anthony’s ‘Juniorate’ (odd name for a high school, right?), no doubt why we boys simply referred to it as ‘Smithtown’, located as it was in the Town of Smithtown on Long Island, among the potato fields of Suffolk County. My short story: I got kicked out after two years, told I was mistaken in thinking I had a ‘vocation’ (I won’t bore you with my sins). So how’d I get there in the first place? Well, you’re graduating from eighth grade in St. Anthony of Padua grammar school (same ‘St. Anthony’, no coincidence); you’re twelve years old and, since the age of five-and-one-half, been shuttled from the school to the looming red brick Church next door when the steeple bells summoned us to prayer. There, all us boys, in our dark-blue worstered trousers, white shirt and clip-on black tie, have been kneeling for all eternity on the hard wood kneelers in the pews in the Lower (basement) Church, interminably humming the five Decades of the Rosary amidst the fourteen Stations of the Cross, as the priest parades up and down the marble-floored aisles spewing swirls of sweet smoke from his incense-burner. No surprise then: After the Good Franciscan Brother reveals to our class that some among us may be ‘called’, on Easter Sunday, at Mass in the Upper Church, drunk on incense fumes, I actually see God point a long index finger at me through the fog, and over the swell of the organ while the choir pounds out the Hallelujah Chorus, I hear Him say to me, clear as a bell: “You! You! Pack your bags!” Upon graduation in February, 1954, I boarded the LIRR, Ronkonkoma Branch, with my ticket punched for Smithtown. One recent Sunday, in the grip of an irresistible impulse to see Smithtown once more, I get on the LIE and head for the North Shore of Long Island. To get to the school, you must drive through the hamlet of Kings Park, once home to the Kings Park Psychiatric Center, which I see from my car on Route 25A, is still there, sprawling on top of a hill but empty, decommissioned. And I remember then being aboard the ancient yellow school bus, the name ‘St. Anthony’s’ painted in black on its sides--captive boys being taken to the movies in Kings Park on a Sunday afternoon more than half-a-century ago--the hospital full of life, the inmates hooting and hollering to us from their barred windows as we speed past. It’s a high point of the trip, riding past the Looney Bin: a happy feeling, I remember, as if them up there and us in our bus were connected. No more acres of potato fields as far as the eye could see along Rte. 25A now-- replaced by row upon row of suburban tracks, Divisions and Sub-Divisions. I drive onto the grounds of St. Anthony’s. It is not a functioning school, it’s obvious. There are some broken windows in the elongated two-story structure, and the white paint is peeling. I think of Iroquois Longhouses, I suppose because of the stretch of the building. I get out of the car and what strikes me is how small-scale everything appears: the buildings, the playing fields behind the main house, the grass badly in need of cutting. The chicken coops are gone as well as the fenced-in execution ground where I beheaded and plucked my first chicken for the Sunday dinner, on orders from the Brother in charge of the Refectory. Everything smaller than I remember it. For it’s vivid, larger-than-life in my memory. Jerome Megna, the pool shark; Joe Rogus, the polio-stricken basketball star; Bill Cullen, the gay librarian from Brooklyn and my best friend; the school’s principal Brother Henry, vain about his PhD in history; Brother Patrick “The Claw’, who taught Latin, had a crippled left hand and the DTs from drink; Brother Linus, the math teacher, who’d feel you up if you weren’t fast on your feet. I swear I remember them all, the faces and their names. I even remember the movie we saw that Sunday in Kings Park in 1954. The Bridges At Toko-Ri; William Holden, Grace Kelly and Mickey Rooney starring. I wrote the movie review for the school paper, The St. Anthony Star. Funny how it all stays with you. The important stuff.

Need to Catch Up With My Blog Tour?

Mrs. Odboddy, Undercover Courier by Elaine Faber