Thank you for inviting me to be your guest today, Marilyn.

I was trying to come up with a topic for this post when I remembered a blog post I’d recently read by author Amy Reade. It was about the benefits to writers when they stick to a schedule. I smiled as I read it because that’s exactly what I try to do. I’m most productive (and happiest) when I follow a daily routine which includes writing in the morning, household/family chores and responsibilities in the afternoon and relaxing in the evening. But, sometimes, it doesn’t work that way.

Just as I was within sight of putting up my book on Amazon, my mother had some medical issues that required me to spend more time than usual with her. Of course, my “schedule” went the way of the wind and I found myself worried about her and stressed (and frustrated) about the book. After all, I’d spent a year writing, editing, formatting, etc. and I had high hopes of publishing it early this month. But it didn’t look like that was going to happen.

When I felt like I was at the end of my rope, so to speak, I finally did what I should’ve done a lot earlier. I let go of all of it, knowing it was in God’s hands. I got out of His way and, as He’s often done in my life, He did for me what I couldn’t do on my own. By His grace, Mom is gradually improving and I managed to publish my book. And I’m very grateful!

--Patricia Gligor

Blurb for: Murder at Maple Ridge

Kate Morgan loves a good mystery. She’s an avid reader and she recently finished writing a murder mystery. The story takes place at the fictionalized version of Maple Ridge, the real life home of Chad Hollingsworth, the man Kate has been dating for the past year.

Chad has invited Kate to his parents’ annual New Year’s Eve party where Kate will meet the other members of his family. On the drive to Maple Ridge, he tells her, “I have to warn you. When the Hollingsworth family gets together, there’s always a lot of drinking and drama.” He has no way of knowing there will be a murder.

In a strange twist of fate, there are numerous similarities between Kate’s manuscript and what actually happens. Kate is determined to separate fact from fiction by figuring out the identity of the killer. But she soon discovers that solving a murder in real life is a lot harder than figuring out whodunit in a mystery novel.

Patricia Gligor is a Cincinnati native. She enjoys reading mystery/suspense novels, traveling and touring and photographing old houses. She has worked as an administrative assistant, the sole proprietor of a resume writing service and the manager of a sporting goods department but her passion has always been writing fiction.

Ms. Gligor is the author of the five-book Malone Mystery series. “Murder at Maple Ridge” is the second book in her Small Town mystery series.


Patricia Gligor said…
Thanks again for inviting me to be your guest today, Marilyn.
Sticking to a schedule is very hard--and seem almost impossible for me. Too many things creep up and I don't have the energy I used to. Great post, thanks for stopping by.
jrlindermuth said…
Schedules are like electronics--great when they work. I try to abide by one, too. They do help keep one on track--providing nothing interferes. Glad to hear your mom is doing better. Best wishes on the new book.
Patricia Gligor said…
Thanks for your good wishes, John.
Mom is ninety and, for the most part, she does very well. She's a real trooper. But, occasionally, she goes through a rough patch. I'm so glad she's feeling better now. As to my new release, Mom says she can't wait to read it!
Evelyn Cullet said…
I envy people who have writing schedules. I try, but so many things get in the way. Glad your mom's better. I'm sure she'll love your new novel. And I'm sure I will, too. It's next on my TBR List. Can't wait to read it.
Patricia Gligor said…
LOL Don't envy me too much, Evelyn.
The reason I try to stick to a schedule is that I don't function well without one. Probably why I'm a plotter as opposed to a pantster in my writing. It's just part of who I am.
I think most of it goes back to my Dad's influence when I was growing up. Those were some rocky teenage years but, as an adult, I thank him every day. He taught me how to prioritize and organize among so many other things.
Anonymous said…
Good post, Pat, and I can relate to life interfering. I'm glad your mother is feeling better. Sometimes God helps us when we least expect it. And I started your book last night. Can't wait to get back into it.
Maggie King said…
It's great to have a schedule, but, unless we're hermits, flexibility is key. Congrats on the book and I'm glad your mom is doing well.
Patricia Gligor said…
You're absolutely right! We do have to be flexible at times but we also have to "Know Thyself" and do whatever works best for us.
Thanks for stopping by!
MM Gornell said…
I use, "I'll start in the morning..." far too often! All the very best to your mom!
Patricia Gligor said…
Thanks, Madeline. Mom is doing better each day. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Reunions: You Can’t Go Back Again (Because ‘There’ Is Gone) You hear about people going to Reunions: high school, college, family, war vets, et cetera. Well, not me. For example, my high school, St. Augustine’s Diocesan on Sterling Place in Park Slope, Brooklyn, was already out of business when the passenger jet made an unscheduled crash landing on its doorstep in the late 1960’s, erasing all prospect of reunions. No matter, I wouldn’t have been attending anyhow. As for St. John’s University College, whose ‘campus’ was in a seven-story former bank building on Schermerhorn St. in Downtown Brooklyn---it’s condos now and even if the doorman would let me in for old times’sake, I’d pass. I spent all of 1956 and half of 1957 at St. Augustine’s as a transfer student, having come from a low-rent seminary that was supposed to prepare you to become a member of the Franciscan Order of Teaching Brothers. St. Anthony’s ‘Juniorate’ (odd name for a high school, right?), no doubt why we boys simply referred to it as ‘Smithtown’, located as it was in the Town of Smithtown on Long Island, among the potato fields of Suffolk County. My short story: I got kicked out after two years, told I was mistaken in thinking I had a ‘vocation’ (I won’t bore you with my sins). So how’d I get there in the first place? Well, you’re graduating from eighth grade in St. Anthony of Padua grammar school (same ‘St. Anthony’, no coincidence); you’re twelve years old and, since the age of five-and-one-half, been shuttled from the school to the looming red brick Church next door when the steeple bells summoned us to prayer. There, all us boys, in our dark-blue worstered trousers, white shirt and clip-on black tie, have been kneeling for all eternity on the hard wood kneelers in the pews in the Lower (basement) Church, interminably humming the five Decades of the Rosary amidst the fourteen Stations of the Cross, as the priest parades up and down the marble-floored aisles spewing swirls of sweet smoke from his incense-burner. No surprise then: After the Good Franciscan Brother reveals to our class that some among us may be ‘called’, on Easter Sunday, at Mass in the Upper Church, drunk on incense fumes, I actually see God point a long index finger at me through the fog, and over the swell of the organ while the choir pounds out the Hallelujah Chorus, I hear Him say to me, clear as a bell: “You! You! Pack your bags!” Upon graduation in February, 1954, I boarded the LIRR, Ronkonkoma Branch, with my ticket punched for Smithtown. One recent Sunday, in the grip of an irresistible impulse to see Smithtown once more, I get on the LIE and head for the North Shore of Long Island. To get to the school, you must drive through the hamlet of Kings Park, once home to the Kings Park Psychiatric Center, which I see from my car on Route 25A, is still there, sprawling on top of a hill but empty, decommissioned. And I remember then being aboard the ancient yellow school bus, the name ‘St. Anthony’s’ painted in black on its sides--captive boys being taken to the movies in Kings Park on a Sunday afternoon more than half-a-century ago--the hospital full of life, the inmates hooting and hollering to us from their barred windows as we speed past. It’s a high point of the trip, riding past the Looney Bin: a happy feeling, I remember, as if them up there and us in our bus were connected. No more acres of potato fields as far as the eye could see along Rte. 25A now-- replaced by row upon row of suburban tracks, Divisions and Sub-Divisions. I drive onto the grounds of St. Anthony’s. It is not a functioning school, it’s obvious. There are some broken windows in the elongated two-story structure, and the white paint is peeling. I think of Iroquois Longhouses, I suppose because of the stretch of the building. I get out of the car and what strikes me is how small-scale everything appears: the buildings, the playing fields behind the main house, the grass badly in need of cutting. The chicken coops are gone as well as the fenced-in execution ground where I beheaded and plucked my first chicken for the Sunday dinner, on orders from the Brother in charge of the Refectory. Everything smaller than I remember it. For it’s vivid, larger-than-life in my memory. Jerome Megna, the pool shark; Joe Rogus, the polio-stricken basketball star; Bill Cullen, the gay librarian from Brooklyn and my best friend; the school’s principal Brother Henry, vain about his PhD in history; Brother Patrick “The Claw’, who taught Latin, had a crippled left hand and the DTs from drink; Brother Linus, the math teacher, who’d feel you up if you weren’t fast on your feet. I swear I remember them all, the faces and their names. I even remember the movie we saw that Sunday in Kings Park in 1954. The Bridges At Toko-Ri; William Holden, Grace Kelly and Mickey Rooney starring. I wrote the movie review for the school paper, The St. Anthony Star. Funny how it all stays with you. The important stuff.

Review of City of the Dead

Another Wonderful Review of LIngering Spirit