Couldn't Stay Away, Sharing Some Thoughts

First off, I enjoy blogging and reading other people's thoughts and what they are up to.

Today I was thinking about Thonie Hevron's blog on mentors. Of course I added my two cents to that one, but what I didn't write about is my own mentor. When I moved to Springville I searched for a writing group and found one mentioned in the local newspaper.

I attended it, but it was large and the chances to read were few and far between. The group dwindled after a while and the one who stayed, Willma Gore, a multi-published author, ended up leading it for a long time. She helped me so much with all kinds of things such as grammar, point-of-view, etc.

Shirley Hickman, who started the group in the first place returned, and we had a wonderful and much smaller group to read to and critique our work.

Willma, now in her 90's)  moved to another state where she continues to teach and mentor others.

I'm still in the group with Shirley who hosts us at her home. I consider the critique group my first editor.

I really need to finish the book I'm working on, but life and other projects seem to keep getting in the way.

I've often thought how great it would be to have a personal assistant who would take care of the mundane things that need to be done and take so much time.

That is never going to happen, so it's time I got back to some real work.

Keep on reading blogs and books.

Marilyn

Comments

Thonie Hevron said…
Thanks for the mention, Marilyn. I agree with you--without my early mentors, there's no telling where I'd be. Certainly not where I am!
Here's the link for readers to check out Barbara Brett's post to which Marilyn referred:https://thoniehevron.wordpress.com/2018/08/21/mentors-a-wise-and-trusted-guide/

Popular posts from this blog

Today is My Birthday!

Need to Catch Up With My Blog Tour?

MURDER, MAYHEM AND GHOST STORIES by Patricia Crandall