Getting Started by Lida Sideris



I was done with Book #2 in my Southern California Mystery series and at the starting point for #3, trying to figure out what to write. Did I sit behind my computer and hope for the best? Or did I carefully plot and outline the various movements of the new story? Hoping for the best is not an option. And plotting ahead isn’t much fun for me. I like to be surprised by the twists and turns. So I tackle writing a novel, or any large project, by cutting it up into pieces.
My initial focus is on the opening scene. In MURDER: DOUBLE OR NOTHING (#3 in the series), I picked the location first – a movie studio in Culver City that bore a similar resemblance to the old MGM studios, a setting I knew from my own days of working on the former MGM lot. Why not open with my heroine watching a scene being shot? Something was bound to happen while she was mostly minding her own business. Of course, mystery fans know sleuths seldom mind their own business.
Heroine Corrie Locke is a newly minted lawyer who works at the film studio. She’s also the daughter of a late, great PI and together, they’d cracked a few high profile cases, which makes her a little more than an amateur sleuth. In chapter one, Corrie’s on her way to a meeting when she gets distracted by the filming. It’s a fictional murder attempt…or so she thinks, until the murder turns real right before her eyes.
The first chapter is the one I work on the most. It sets the tone for the story. I write the rest of the novel the same way. I select the setting for each chapter and drop my heroine in. In my latest, I’ve put her everywhere from a studio sound stage, to the Malibu home of a movie legend, to the coroner’s office, to name a few. Then I insert action, twists and turns, and the story unfolds. It isn’t always easy, but it helps to have recurring characters whose personalities I know well. And I keep my eye on the goal of having fun!

Here's the blurb: 

Corrie Locke, newbie lawyer and daughter of a late, great PI, is learning the ropes at the Hollywood movie studio where she works--and where things are never what they seem. Life imitates art when a fictional murder attempt turns real--right before her very eyes. 

With more than a little help from friends and a crazy movie legend, Corrie trips down a trail littered with wisecracks, mysterious messages, and marginally legal maneuvers to track down the killer. Meanwhile, clues keep disappearing and Corrie makes an enemy whose deadly tactics keep escalating. Will her impromptu sleuthing skills be enough to catch the mysterious assailant before he takes her down?

Here's a buy link.



Bio: 

Lida Sideris is an author, lawyer, and all-around book enthusiast. She writes soft-boiled mysteries and was one of two national winners of the Helen McCloy Mystery Writers of America scholarship award. MURDER: DOUBLE OR NOTHING is the third installment in her Southern California Mystery series, published by Level Best Books. Lida is also the author of The Cookie Eating Fire Dog, a picture book for ages 4-8. She lives in the northern tip of Southern California with her family, rescue dogs and a flock of uppity chickens.  To learn more, please visit: www.LidaSideris.com     


Website and social media info:

www.lidasideris.com             
Twitter: @lidasideris

Comments

Lida Sideris said…
Thank you so much for hosting me today, Marilyn!! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Today is My Birthday!

Need to Catch Up With My Blog Tour?

MURDER, MAYHEM AND GHOST STORIES by Patricia Crandall