One of My Dad's Movie Star Pals

My father, Murl Mitchell, was the head plumber at Paramount Studios while my sis and I were growing up. He didn't have much respect for most of the movie stars of the day because of their behavior and lifestyles.

That didn't keep him from loving the movies as entertainment though, and as a family, we went to the local theater nearly every Friday night, no matter the movie. We stayed for both of the double features, and there was always a comic, the news (scary because it was during the war), and Keno during the intermission.


One of dad's favorites, and a friend was the Indian star, Rodd (we spelled his name Rod) Redwing. Besides being an actor, he was a stuntman, and expert in firearms and trick shooting. He acted in over 300 feature films and many television shows. Often, the gun and shooting special effects seen in Westerns were actually done by Redwing rather than the star. Among those he taught the art of fast draw were Charlton Heston, Jerry Lewis,, Alan Ladd, Ronald Reagan, and Fred McMurray.  He also could throw a knife faster than a man could draw a gun. He was also an expert with a whip and a tomahawk.

Rod was often a visitor to our home when we were kids. He told lots of stories, one being that he didn't know how to swim. If he needed to cross a river, he'd just go underwater, hold his breath and walk on the bottom until he reached the other side.

According to some, though Redwing is reported to have been a Full-blooded Chikaswa Indian born in New York City, he really was born in India.

All I can say is he certainly looked like and spoke like a Native American, and everyone thought he was.

Later, when I was married to my SeaBee husband  who was overseas at the time, and we lived near the Port Hueneme Seabee base, Rod Redwing was a special guest for some special occasion at the base (possibly the Seabee birthday). He invited me and the kids (we had three at the time) to come share the day with him. Though I don't remember much about it, I know at his request we sat up on the stage with him. I'm sure everyone wondered who the heck we were, and if anyone asked. Redwing merely said we were his friends.

He died in 1971.

I'm glad I got to meet Rod Redwing.

Marilyn


Comments

Haggerty said…
As a kid Marilyn I loved the movies. I used to go to the Penn Theater, on Pennsylvania Ave in DC, every Saturday. I wasn't allowed to go by myself so I usually went with some other kids in the neighbor. Unfortunately, most of them were Catholic and adhered to a Catholic publication which prohibited them from going to specific movies.
Later in life I became quite a movie buff. I collected over 1500 movies that I taped from the TV. I sold all of them at a yard sale. I'm still a big fan of Turner Classic movies which plays a lot of the older movies and Encores Western channel. Neither have commercials.
The movies of today don't interest me, although I have watched a few. I love the Bruce Willis movies where he plays John McClain, the "Die Hard" series. I guess to the youngins' today they are considered old movies.
I truly enjoyed your story and Mr. Redwing sounded like quite a guy.
Unknown said…
Wow, Rod sounds like he was quite a guy. I remember another Indian stuntman, Yakima Kanut (Sp?) who was famous for doing stunts in the movies. He actually did he chariot jump in the movie Ben Hur with Charlton Heston. And Joe, I remember that Catholic publication list. My buddies mom used to make him adhere to it so he missed a lot of the movies. I'd go and then tell him what happened in them.
Mike B
Unknown said…
Great story, Marilyn. This brought back a lot of good memories. Being raised in a small Kansas, farming town (LeRoy, pop.500) during the '40s and '50s, playing cowboys and Indians with childhood friends was quite common. We got a lot of information about Indians from Saturday matinees in the movie theater.

I didn't realize it at the time, but a lot of Indians, especially those having a lead role, were portrayed by white actors. One that comes to mind was Jeff Chandler in "Broken Arrow." And a few years ago, Johnny Depp played Tonto. Probably a couple who everyone is familiar with is Iron Eyes Cody, a child of Italian immigrants, and Michael Ansara who was American-Syrian.

Were you living in Ventura County during the '60s? Do you know about the old movie lot in Santa Susana (Simi Valley) called "Corriganville"? Interesting history. I went there in 1964. Here is a link...FYI.

https://www.conejovalleyguide.com/welcome/the-corriganville-movie-ranch-site-in-simi-valley-is-a-ventura-county-historical-landmark

Ron C.
Love hearing about TV stars etc. in those days. I grew up on movies and TV! Great post...
Nancy LiPetri said…
Such a fun post! Will have to share it with my movie-buff hubby.
Thanks to all you commented. And Ron C. I did live in Ventura County in the 60s, actually Oxnard. And yes, did know all about Corriganville, and also where Manson had his compound.
ink slinger said…
Marlene, this story documents an important legacy. Thank you
ink slinger said…
Sorry. I have another writer friend named Marlene.
Ink slinger, no worries, I've been called many names over the years, and answer to most of them.
John Schembra said…
Great story, Marilyn. Brings back some fun memories for me, and others posting here. When I was a kid, a bunch of us in the neighborhood would hope on our bikes and ride to one of the movie theaters and spend most of the day there, watching 2 movies, cartoons, and an adventure serial. Good times. and good memories.

John

Gerrie Dodd said…
Great story Marilyn. My family also knew Rodd. My dad worked in the movies and TV. I don't remember a lot but I do know he was a very nice man. I met his wife when we went to his home to watch Art Linkletter show that he did his act with my sister. I saw him in 1965 when me saw each other in a store where we were both shopping. So sad when he passed.

Popular posts from this blog

Need to Catch Up With My Blog Tour?

Today is My Birthday!

MURDER, MAYHEM AND GHOST STORIES by Patricia Crandall