DO YOU LOVE YOUR WORK?

With the exception of some of the jobs I had as a kid and teenager, I can honestly say I loved every job I had.

For many years I worked as a telephone operator, both information and long distance, at a small telephone company. During that time, I had three kids and was always able to return to the job when I wanted.

For ten years I worked at a pre-school for children with disabilities. I loved every minute I was with the kids. I worked in the fine motor room and the gross motor room. We had a physical therapist and an occupational therapist who consulted with us and helped plan our daily programs. I fell in love with the children.

From there I went to teaching at various pre-schools and then a daycare in the low-income area. Again, it was a great job. And from there another daycare in a nearby city. My last year in Oxnard, I went back to the low-income area and taught in a pre-school where most of the children didn't speak English. My kids all learned to speak English.

We moved to Springville and bought and took over an existing residential care home. As live-in administrators and staff, we cared for various women with developmental disabilities. Though I worked hard and long hours, I loved what I was doing. And my hubby worked alongside me. There was plenty to do, physically and paperwork.

But I managed to keep on writing, something I'd been doing most of my adult life. I also taught writin in various ways, Writers Digest Correspondence School and other venues.

When taking classes to become an administrator became mandatory, I created, organized and taught administrator and continuing education classes for many years too, even after I'd retired as a residential service provider.

No longer doing that, I began writing program designs and helping with licensing for people wanting to go into the residential care business, and a few day programs and others. I'm still doing this. Sometimes it's a challenge, but I'm glad I can still help people.

And of course, I'm still writing.

I do hope that most people can find the kind of jobs that they love and can find personal satisfaction in doing.

Marilyn

Comments

Gloria Getman said…
Yup. I loved being a mom, and I loved being a nurse. There was always something new to learn in both jobs.
statanalytica said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
statanalytica said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
And yes, Gloria I loved being a mom and now a grandma, great, and great-great!
Always enjoy reading about your amazing life! Keep writing. (first comment didn't take?)
Thank you, Madeline, dear friend. Sorry we couldn't be at the PSWA conference this year. Hoping for next.
Anonymous said…
As for Menet, the statement is already relevant now: do your favorite thing and you will not have to work a single day in your life. Therefore, it is worth listening to yourself, despite the pressure of society, to find what you really like. Since I am currently studying in college, I am already trying to gain more experience in various fields, I have time for this because I often work with rewriting services https://best-writing-service.com/professional-rewriting-service

Popular posts from this blog

Today is My Birthday!

Need to Catch Up With My Blog Tour?

MURDER, MAYHEM AND GHOST STORIES by Patricia Crandall